2022 Taiwan Scholarship Program is open for application till April 30. The scholarship is provided by the Ministry of Education in Taiwan to encourage young people from Sweden and Norway to undertake degree programs in Taiwan from the September of 2022.
By providing study opportunities for a wide range of disciplines at Taiwan’s universities and colleges, the Taiwan Scholarship Program aims to:
(1) Encourage outstanding Swedish and Norwegian students to undertake degree programs in Taiwan.
(2) Promote knowledge, understanding and friendship of people in Sweden and Norway toward Taiwan.
(3) Explore opportunities to increase academic and educational links with international institutions of higher learning.
(4) The scholarship application and selection procedures will be conducted by the Education Division, Taipei Mission in Sweden (TMIS).
2. Types of Scholarships
(1) Undergraduate (Bachelor Degree)
(2) Postgraduate programs (Master/Doctoral Degree)
The Ministry of Education (MOE) awards outstanding Swedish and Norwegian students undertaking undergraduate and postgraduate studies in Taiwan by awarding each recipient of the Taiwan scholarship the following: (Exchange rate approx.: 1 USD = 27.64NTD)
(1) Tuition and payment of academic fees, including credit fee. Upon validation of tuition and above fees, the MOE awards each recipient per semester up to NTD 40,000. If the total amount of these fees should exceed NTD 40,000, the remainder of all costs shall be the recipient’s responsibility. Tuition and academic fees do not include any of the following: administration fees, thesis advising fees, insurance premiums, accommodation, Internet access, all of which are payable by the recipients.
(2) Subsistence allowance: undergraduate studies a monthly stipend of NTD 15,000; postgraduate studies a monthly stipend of NTD 20,000. The stipend will be transferred to recipient’s personal bank account in Taiwan by the university.
4. Duration of Scholarships
(1) The maximum period of each scholarship is 4 years for undergraduate programs, 2 years for master programs, and 4 years for doctorate programs. The maximum length of the total awards for each recipient undertaking a combination of studies is 5 years.
(2) Annual award periods begin on September 1 and continue until August 31 of the following year. Recipients must arrive in Taiwan and enroll at their admitting universities/colleges within this period unless delays have been approved by the relevant institutions and the MOE. If recipients fail to arrive in Taiwan for registration during this period, their award will be revoked with no deferrals.
(3) Subsistence allowances begin from the month of the recipients’ registration at the universities/colleges and end when the award period expires or upon the recipients’ graduation, withdrawal, suspension, expulsion, or revocation of the scholarship.
(1) Applicants must be Swedish or Norwegian national with secondary school graduation diploma or a bachelor, post-secondary degree(s), with an excellent academic record, and be of good moral character.
(2) Applicants with one of the following qualifications are ineligible to apply:
a. An overseas Chinese student or a national of the R.O.C.
b. Are already registered or have obtained student status at any university/college in Taiwan. Graduating students pursuing further studies are exempt from this rule.
c. Have already studied in Taiwan for the same level of degree as the one in which they currently intend to enroll.
d. Are exchange or dual/joint degree students admitted in accordance with academic cooperation agreements between local universities/colleges and international universities/colleges.
e. Have been a recipient of the Taiwan Scholarship for over a total of five years.
f. Have had, in the past, their Taiwan Scholarship or Huayu Enrichment Scholarship from the MOE revoked.
g. Are recipients of any other scholarship or subsidy offered by the Taiwan government or education institutions in Taiwan. This excludes subsidies offered by universities/colleges to cover tuition and other fees exceeding the scholarship limit.
(3) Applicants should apply directly for admission within the application periods specified by each university/college.
(1) The application period is from January 20 through April 30, 2022. Applicants must submit the required documents to the following address:
Taipei Mission in Sweden
Wenner Gren Center 18tr. Sveavägen 166,
113 46, Stockholm, Sweden
(2) Required application documents:
a. Taiwan Scholarship Application Form (available at https://www.roc-taiwan.org/se_en/post/5829.html)
b. A photocopy of the applicant’s passport or other nationality certificates.
c. A photocopy of the highest degree and academic transcripts (should be showed the achievement of an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above, and a postgraduate GPA of 3.5 or above (on a 4.5 scale)). Documents in a language other than Chinese or English must be translated into Chinese or English and the translated documents must be authenticated.
Note: If you graduate later in the same year and have not yet received your degree/diploma, please submit the certificate of the highest degree/diploma before June 20 of 2022.
d. A photocopy of admission application materials to universities/colleges in Taiwan (e.g., copies of application fee remittance, application form, receipt of application from universities/colleges, e-mails).
e. A photocopy of a language proficiency certificate:
(i) For applications of Mandarin-conducted programs, a copy of results or certificate for the “Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language” (TOCFL) Level 3 of Band B or above. Applicants who cannot take the TOCFL in Sweden due to geographical constraints shall apply for the TOCFL at their own expense and submit the test results or certificate to the schools by the end of the first semester after arriving Taiwan. (TOCFL link: https://tocfl.edu.tw/ )
(ii) For applications of all-English programs, the test results or certificate may be exempted by submission of TOEFL test scores or other English language proficiency exam documents or an English program diploma (English-speaking nationals are exempt from this rule) recognized by the local government. Applicants to all-English programs shall be recognized by the MOE. If not, the applicant shall directly obtain his/her all-English program document authorized by the applying school (not units on campus) from the applying university/college.
f. One signed English letter of reference (i.e. from the principals, professors, or supervisors). Applicants might send photocopy or email the letter of reference with the application, but the original one should send to us by post before June 20 of 2022.
g. Other supporting materials (optional): such as CV, certificates of foreign language i.e. IELTS, TOCFL (Test of Chinese as Foreign Language) or award records.
7. Selection Process
(1) A document review and interview (on-line or by phone) will be conducted in May. The Education Division, Taipei Mission in Sweden will select primary candidates and candidates on the waiting list.
(2) Candidates should submit a copy of their letter of admission to Taipei Mission in Sweden, Education Division for verification by June 20, 2022. Failure to be admitted into a university/college will result in suspension from the Scholarship Program. Failure to submit documents within the specified time period will result in disqualification, and the candidates on the waiting list will be offered the scholarship instead.
The process for continuing scholarship benefits is as follows:
(1) Each university/college should review recipients’ award qualifications for the second semester of the academic year and evaluate each recipient’s academic and conduct performances by February 28 of each year and notify the recipients and the MOE designated office within seven days. In addition, by September 10 of each year, universities/colleges should submit the renewal lists to the on-line Taiwan Scholarship Information Platform to secure funding.
(2) Recipients shall be granted renewal if they have achieved the following results:
＊ A minimum total average of 70% per semester’s coursework for undergraduate student and 80% per semester’s coursework for postgraduates; universities/colleges may set their own higher standards.
＊ For recipients in the 3rd year of their doctoral programs, this evaluation should be conducted in accordance with the regulations of their individual institutions.
(3) If recipients have been admitted to the next level of study by their attending universities/colleges prior to the expiration of their scholarships, the attending universities/colleges must submit the scholarship application forms filled out by the recipients, their academic transcripts in Taiwan, and proof of admission, to the MOE for change of scholarship levels and terms. The MOE will notify the universities/colleges, the MOE designated office and relevant representative offices.
1. Recipients are encouraged to participate in recipients’ orientation which is arranged by Education Division, Taipei Mission in Sweden. Upon completion of study in Taiwan, recipients are required to register on Taiwan Alumni Database (SIT) (https://sitdatabase.moe.gov.tw/sitweb/Sign_EN.aspx ). Recipients should share their experiences of studying in Taiwan by writing a report/summary (including photo). Taipei Mission in Sweden may use it for scholarship promotion usage. The report should be submitted to Taipei Mission in Sweden every year during their stay in Taiwan.
2. Recipients are not allowed to receive illegal employment in Taiwan. ( https://www.roc-taiwan.org/se_en/post/5981.html )
3. Recipients are encouraged to prepare at least 3000 USD for the possible expenses upon arrival Taiwan for tuition fees, accommodation rental (including security deposit) and other living expenses.
4. Please pay attention the updated entry regulation in response to covid-19 outbreak in Taiwan.( https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Category/QAPage/SbkmnM5v0OwdDMjJ2tI_xw )
For the relevant regulations, please check the MOE Taiwan Scholarship Program Guidelines (revised by the MOE on 2015.Dec.09).
1. Study in Taiwan: https://www.studyintaiwan.org/
2. Taipei Mission in Sweden (scholarship programs): https://www.roc-taiwan.org/se_en/cat/42.html
3. Taiwan Scholarship Program Directions: https://edu.law.moe.gov.tw/EngLawContent.aspx?lan=E&id=250&KW=Taiwan+scholarship
4. List of universities & colleges providing degree programs taught in English for Taiwan Scholarship recipients: https://www.roc-taiwan.org/uploads/sites/159/2021/11/2022-List-of-Universities-Colleges-Pro viding-Degree-Programs-Taught-in-English-for-Taiwan-Scholarship-Recipients.pdf